Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Tip of the Day

My best advice about memorizing:

You say your lines and the other actor's lines "rote" over and over again - no emotion attached - while doing something else - like tying your shoes, driving in the car, doing the dishes, having a shower. Once you can do it four or five times without stumbling - you are memorized. If you are in the early stages of your acting career, still hold sides in hand as nerves could become the best of you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rote_learning

Cheers! Crystal Kramer C.D.C.

2 comments:

Cher Jones said...

This is a great technique Crystal. Here's another tip that will increase anyone's ability to memorize their sides.

I use the video function on my digital camera to help me memorize my sides.

I record the other character's lines out loud and and silently read mine so I would have acurate spacing in between lines.

I just keep playing it back until I've memorized my lines. So basically I was my own reading partner. I also learn the other character's lines (my cues)just by listening to the recording.

Saad Siddiqui said...

Same thing here. I also use the mp3 player/voice recorder and record the other person's lines with space for mine. I do the other persons lines different ways as your reader can vary with their delivery.

This way each time i listen to my headphones i really LISTEN to peoples lines and do a scene each time. It helps me memorize many pages per day, especially if you are doing a play. I can do it while running, when my heart beats a lot faster, that way i can simulate the audition setting and thus my body will be used to it.